Heating Equipment Tips

Fall and winter are prime time for heating equipment fires. Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue reminds the community to use caution this season by following the safety tips below. (For the full article, click onto "TVF&R" under Public Services at www.skylineridgeneighbors.org)

Fireplaces and Woodstoves

• Inspect and clean by a professional.
• Before lighting a fire, make sure the flue is unobstructed & damper is open.
• Install a tight -fitting fireplace screen or place a sturdy screen in
front of your fireplace.
• Keep combustible items at least 3 ft. away,
• Never bum newspapers, wrapping paper, or greenery.
• Don 't use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other petroleum products to start or rekindle a fire.
• Bum only dry, seasoned wood to prevent the build-up of creosote .
• Never leave a fire unattended.
• Allow ashes to cool completely by waiting 2-3 days before removing or dispose ashes in a metal can & place far away from combustibles including your deck, home, etc.

Furnaces

• Inspect and clean your furnace prior to each year.
• Clean & replace filter regularly,
• Keep combustible items at least 3' away from the pilot light of a gas furnace.

Portable Space Heaters

• Only use Underwriters Laboratories (UL)-approved portable heaters.
• Never use outdoor-use heaters indoors. They may start a fire and cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Heater should have a "tip switch" which automatically shuts off the heater if knocked over.
• Keep at least 3' away from combustibles such as bedding, furniture, and/or drapes.
• Keep children and pets away from heaters.
• Never use to dry clothes or shoes by placing them on top.
• Turn off space when going to bed or leaving the house.
• Never use an electric heater near water, such as in a bathroom.
• Don't plug other devices into an outlet used by an electric space heater.
• Don't try to heat an entire house with them .

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning may include: slight headache or dizziness, nausea, drowsiness or euphoric feeling, confusion or irritability, and unconsciousness. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, however, unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens, and people with heart or lung problems may be more vulnerable to poisoning.
RR1103